Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving, A Great Holiday

As Glenn Beck said,

"It's that time of year again...a time we often greet with equal parts joy and tension. Of course, I'm talking about Thanksgiving -- the one day where my family gathers 'round to see how much I can actually eat in 24 hours. It's sort of like a contest where no one can truly be called a "winner"...But the truth is, I love Thanksgiving. It's that rare holiday with no gifts to buy or cards to send...a time to simply gather together, catch up, and enjoy one another (and pie -- pie never hurts). I hope you have a wonderful day surrounded by all the things and people you love..."

Well Glenn, once again I have found myself agreeing with you. I also love Thanksgiving because you don't have to worry about anything else, except good family company and good food.

As I reflect on a rather large turning point in my life, I realize I have too many blessings to truly count. I would like to name a few things, just a few that I am so grateful for.

I am so grateful for Whit. She is my interior decorator, my constant reminder I need to shave, my biggest intramural fan/videographer/stat keeper, my chef who is regularly expanding her rotation, my free throw shooting champ, my supporter of my hobbies/ideas/dreams/and other crazy ideas, my frugal shopper, my all-star anchor woman, my best friend, and my motivation to be a better person.

I know that sounds so typical, but I have always been so blessed. Wherever my life journey has taken me I have been surrounded by great people. From Albany, to Rexburg, to Toronto, to all of our various bug selling coastal locations.

My Mom and Dad are great to us, they compliment one another better than creamy peanut butter and my Mom's homemade strawberry jam. They are great mentors, listeners, friends, and always make me smile. Whether its my Dad talking about his new found love, his GPS or my Mom sending me a new recipe or telling about a great new product Costco is carrying, they are the best.

My sister's, (and Bjrok, Triz, and Big B) they are each MVP's of the McDonald's All American All Star game. Yeah, they each are like LeBron dominating the rest of the field. They each know me for who I really am, appreciate me, and I enjoy spending time with all of them.

My Out-Laws. They probably are so tired of that, but it just gets me everytime, Outlaws. I think its because I am an Outlaw at heart. Richard and Lori have been so great. Frequently I will be with my friends and have to tell them, "excuse me, its my father in law." They laugh because apparently they don't speak to their in-laws everyday, but Richard and I its seems always have plenty to talk about. The Chapman teens and Ryan. Since they all (minus Ryan) are in that teen stage I find them so entertaining to be with, they always make me laugh. And, Ryan, just a guy who is very easy to get along with. We had a great time together earlier this fall, he just needs to give a little more respect to Rip City.

Everyone else. I appreciate all those people who have helped and influence Whit and I. We have made some great friends here in Rexburg that we are very sad to leave. From professors, to intramural teammates, to people who have served us in our wards, to classmates, to cousins (man, I have some really cool cousins), Aunts, Uncles, all relatives, and of course my three nieces, Abs, Savy, and Jocy.

And a few temporal things I am grateful for. The Beavs, The Rose Garden (where the Blazers are undefeated this season), google reader, my new GPS, intramural sports, basketball, football, basketball, basketball, unlimited free heat, pork chops marinated with brown sugar, loaded mashed potatoes, smoothies, pick up basketball, my Brandon Roy shirt, and much more.

When times are tough, just count your blessings. I feel like a rich man. If you are reading this, I am sure you are one that I must thank, so Thank You, Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas!

*Disclaimer: Inspiration came from Trevor.

1 comment:

Jimmy, Diane and Bentley said...

Well said, Ev! Whit really is a gem. And might I ask if that pork chop bit was in reference to mine? :) You really are an eloquent and creative writer. Great post.