Sunday, July 03, 2011

Joplin Tornado

Words really can't express everything I have thought about with what happened on May 22nd with the Joplin tornado. I grew up in Joplin (though attended a different high school), went to Church in the building pictured below, shopped in the Wal-Mart now gone, had my first job at Shakey's that somehow survived the tornado even though buildings around it are damaged/gone (next to Wal-Mart), and so on. Even though since graduating high school I haven't been to Joplin too much, it still hit very close to home for me. 

It really is true that even if you look at photos and watch videos showing the destruction on Joplin, you can't really grasp it until you go there. There is just so much damage. I read there is three times as much debris as the World Trade Center when it collapsed. But along with that, the amount of service and volunteers helping was amazing. People were so eager to help in anyway possible. While we were helping people find items in their homes, numerous people drove by asking us if we needed water or food. Tetnus shots were given by the dozens. Every church found a way to help feed, clothe, comfort those in need. I know it will take a long time to get Joplin "back to normal" (although what is normal after something like this occurs?), but good things can also come from this. 

Here are some photos someone posted on Facebook of our Church building. Here is the door we entered each Sunday and Wednesday. The YW room is on the right.  


Amazing how some things were untouched. 




The bathroom on the left is where those people who were in the church at the time of the tornado went for cover. After hearing the story of their survival, I think it's pretty clear someone was looking out for them. 


Joplin High School directly across the street.






Like I said, good things have come from this though. Many of my friends I grew up with have come back from college to help in anyway. We had a Joplin Stake reunion at Chedders, then some of us decided to check out good ol Shakey's. 
 

The night after the tornado, before putting Jaycee down to sleep for the night, I held her for a long time while she fell asleep on me. I thought about those moms unable to do that anymore. My heart breaks for them. I don't understand why things like this happen, but am grateful for the knowledge that families are forever. It has been a good wake up call on how special each day should be. 

1 comment:

JasPam said...

Thanks for all your awesome posts! I count this as journaling. Look at all the memories you have recorded--some happy, some sad.Appreciate you sharing your pictures and comments.